Farmers who suffered financial loss from severe frost last June will now have access to funding to help them recover for next year. Government announced today (February 25th) $16.7 million in a Frost Loss Program.
“Last year’s frost event was severe and impacted many farmers and their crops. Agriculture Minister Keith Colwell says this investment will help farmers recover from the significant financial loss and help them buy some of the necessary supplies and services they need for the upcoming season.
The amount of damages that resulted from the weather event had not happened in Nova Scotia for several decades. The most impacted crops were wine grapes, wild blueberries, apples and Christmas trees. In addition to crop revenue loss, seasonal farm workers were laid off and expansion was cancelled or placed on hold.
“Wild blueberries are one of Nova Scotia’s top agricultural exports and our producers suffered a shocking loss of two thirds of their crop in 2018, following very low market prices in recent years,” said Peter Rideout, executive director of the Wild Blueberry Producers Association of Nova Scotia. “This funding will help support our producers and the communities that depend on them.”
Farmers that are interested in applying for the crop loss program can apply at https://novascotia.ca/agri .
The deadline to apply is March 15.